I started blogging as a way to write on a daily basis, first on my now defunct mommy blog, A Mama’s Rant, then at group blogs like DotMoms. After realizing that I was posting frequently about food during Thanksgiving 2004, I started my healthy recipes and lifestyle blog, This Mama Cooks! On a Diet.
Starting in June 2006, I was professionally blogging, with my first paid gig at ClubMom (now called CafeMom) at a now obsolete blog about children’s books and food, called A Readable Feast.
Then an editor hired me to write stories of daily life with my kids for an online magazine called Citizen Mom’s Family Journal for DuPont. I won two awards for the blog, a 2006 webaward and 2006 Silver Davey Award.
Getting paid to publish online editorial content was exciting. While I continued to do freelance work with copywriting clients creating traditional marketing communication pieces, I soon realized that producing online content and helping brands with their social media promotional needs was where my future was headed.
Social media consulting and professional food writer
Since 2006, I have worked full time as a freelance social media consultant and professional food writer who does recipe development, food photography, and food styling.
- I was one of the original mom bloggers at Club Mom (now CafeMom).
- I was a community moderator at CafeMom.
- I gave two blogging workshops at the Northern Colorado Writers Conference and spoke on panels at BlogHer, SXSW, BlogWorld Expo (NMX), and TECHmunch. I gave the breakfast keynote talk and conducted a social media workshop at the United States Personal Chef Conference. I hope to speak at more conferences. Just ask me!
- Via workshops or one-on-one consulting, I’ve taught aspiring and professional writers and business people how to start their own blogs and use social media to promote themselves and their business.
- In 2010, I was named one of Babble.com’s Top 50 Mommy Food Bloggers and #8 in the Top 10 Healthiest Eating Mom Blogs.
- This Mama Cooks! On a Diet was named one of the Top 10 Diet and Nutrition Blogs by Cision Navigator.
- In 2011, I was named one of Babble.com’s Top 100 Mommy Food Bloggers and #7 in the Top 10 Healthiest Eating Mom Blogs.
- My recipes are regularly featured at DailyBuzz Moms, Babble.com’s Food Blogger Bites, Foodie.com, Tend.com, AllFreeSlowCookerRecipes.com, CookEastShare.com, BuzzFeed, and Circle of Moms.
- My frugal living tips were featured at All You Magazine in their Money-savings Tips Overheard on the Blogs both online and in their print magazine along with my frugal recipe for Greek yogurt.
- I was featured at Fitness Magazine’s Fit Stop as a Fit Blogger We Love: This Mama Cooks.
- My post, Julia’s Mousse Makes Life Better, was featured in PBS.org’s Tributes to Julia Child.
- I was featured in a Blogger Spotlight at Food Network’s Healthy Eats blog.
- I was interviewed at Gourmandize, at Laa Loosh and at Diets in Review.
- Here’s a list of my writing clips for other blogs and websites such as BlogHer, Rocky Mountain Moms Blog, DotMoms, Mom Central, and CafeMom.
I also do travel writing with a focus on food, health, and family:
- I traveled to Hawaii on behalf of the Sea Cuisine company to report on seafood and local cuisine. (Website no longer live.)
- I wrote about barbecue restaurants on a trip from Colorado to Georgia for Drive The Nation at Midwest BBQTour.
- I wrote about the Dining at the El Tovar at the Grand Canyon, Planning your Grand Canyon Railways trip, All aboard the Grand Canyon Railway, and How to make your Grand Canyon motorcoach reservation at the Mom Central website.
- I wrote about my Brandcation blogger trip to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and my visits to Dollywood and the Titanic Museum Attraction.
- I wrote about why you need to have AAA Roadside Service at Driving Mamas.
- You can find my travel posts here.
Brands I’ve worked with
- on the expert panel of the Global Stevia Institute
- a Sam’s Club Food Ambassador
- a Panera Bread blogger
- a Frigidaire Test Drive Mom
- a Foodily Ambassador
- an Attune Foods Ambassador
- a Yahoo! Shine Get It Guru
- a Ziploc Fresh Over Insider
- a Lipton Tastemaker
- an Orville Redenbacher Smart Pop Ambassador
- a Mountain High Yoghurt Ambassador
- a Children’s Claritin Mom Crew member
- a member of the Coppertone Water MOMS group
- a U by Kotex Tween Kotex Mom
- a VIP member of the Dreamfields Pasta “Dream Team 2012”
- a California Wine Club Blogger
- a LiveWell Colorado Twitter Chat Host
- a Hunt’s Signature Recipes Blogger
- a YumSugar Select Food Blogger
- a member of The Republic of Tea Enlightenment TEAm
- a Microsoft Windows Champion
- a Diet Coke Ambassador
- a Benefiber Blogger
- a Nature’s Sleep Blogger
- a Pfister Faucets Blogger
- a member of the Invisalign Teen Mom Advisory Board
- a Cans Get You Cooking Ambassador
- a part of the ARM & HAMMER Influencer Network
- a Mizkan Blogger Advocate working with their NAKANO and Holland House brands
- a Bundoo Ambassador
- a Massel Gluten Free Blogger
- an Applegate Farms Blogger
- a Cascadian Farm Blogger
- a LivingNowFoods Ambassador
- a Food for Sleep Blogger
- a Wayfair Homemaker Featured Blogger
- an Avocados from Mexico Blogger
- an eBay Buying Guide Author
- a Poise Ambassador
- an Udi’s Gluten Free Living Ambassador
- a Mode Media Featured Creator
- a CafeMom Blogger
- a Chex Blogger
I’ve hosted live events for:
- Feld Entertainment
- Ziploc VersaGlass Containers
- Hunt’s Dinner Sauces
I’ve represented food companies like SOYJOY, Attune Foods, Log Cabin Syrup, and Nasoya at blogging conferences.
I’m partnering with your favorite food, healthy lifestyle, pet, and travel brands!
When I’m not working at This Mama Cooks! On a Diet or as a Social Media Consultant, I’m mom to two teenagers, Nathan and Lucie, and wife to Paul, a chemist, avid outdoorsman, and motorcycle enthusiast. We live in the greater Atlanta, Georgia area with our beagle-ish dog, Nellie.
If you’d like to work together, you can contact me at am @ the-write-spot dot com.